So, you may have just received the same email over and over in what seemed to be a never-ending loop. Our batch mailer system was failing part-way through and requeuing everything, which it isn't supposed to do. We've made changes to prevent this happening again, and apologise for any inconvenience caused.
- - Emails
Toggle which emails are sent to you.
- - Matching Preferences
Disable or enable relative level matching.
- - Rematching
Disable or enable direct rematching. This defaults to off.
- - Security
Enable two-factor authentication.
- - Site Preferences
Select which font to use on the site. Our default, or OpenDyslexic.
- - Social Media Visibility
Toggle social media visibility on your public profile.
Automated reminders to giftees to post, including a suspension if required. Applies to March batch onwards.
Awards (applies to March batch onwards).
Manage questions from premium exchange management page.
Shipping labels (purchasing).
Viewing a single reddit gifts post.
Also, just a reminder - our lifetime premium membership offer (get a lifetime membership for just $75) will be ending at 2359 UTC on March 31st.
Our legacy rematch drive was a success, so we've decided to go one better.
In the month of April, anybody who signs up to be a rematch gifter and subsequently successfully completes it - will get one free month of premium for each successful rematch. What more can we say? Rematch gifts will be verified they meet the minimum requirements for an exchange, in order to prevent people sending a $2 gift and trying to game the system (we doubt people will do it, but we always have to prepare for the worst).
Have fun gifting!
Average Value: $40.63
Total Value Sent: $283,912.85
Statistics for each exchange in terms of successfully sent gifts are available on each page. For example, Happy Holidays achieved a 91% success rate - and this is still ongoing. There are admittedly a couple of exchanges in the mid seventies, but the bad actors will be weeded out as a result of this.
However, when we take in to account the amount of people reporting no gift (success rate percentages get a little weird when both involved parties never send anything, or the person receives a gift but never posts it) - only 70 people are in need of a rematcher.
Now, we ban and suspend people with regularity. We're slowly but surely building up our database of bad actors.
Banned Users: 122
Suspended Users: 349
Blacklisted Addresses: 97
Domestic: 7 days.
International: 14 days.
Worldwide: 21 days.
After this point, a giftee will be suspended until they comply with this policy - or provide a valid reason.
Domestic: 10 days.
International: 21 days.
Worldwide: 28 days.
After this point, a rematch giftee will be suspended until they comply with this policy - or provide a valid reason.
Hey Everyone, Baron (Taylor) here! So who's behind Givin Gifts? We're a mix n' match of folks, most are either in the UK or in the USA, but that's liable to change as we expand. I'm truly honored to work with everybody here, they've made a spark of an idea into a beautiful reality.
Our senior team is the group that makes the big decisions, deals with the financial items, and plans the course of the organization.
Ethereal Squirrel (Ryan):
Squirrel has been here since day one, and works on... well... there are too many things to list. He's our combined CTO/COO and... well, is basically the coding wizard. When not doing GG work, he's likely doing other sorts of work. He is fueled by caffeine.
TJ is the CFO for Givin Gifts and a member of the senior team. They are responsible for wrangling the accounts for the org into some sort of shape and keeping track of our income and expenses. They are a U.K. accountant who specializes in building data models so will also be modelling some analytics on our data. When not doing GG work they write creative fiction, usually medieval style fantasy. They’ve been playing RuneScape since it started 21 years ago. They also have a Disney pin badge addiction.
Taylor co-founded Givin Gifts in June as a way to continue the wonderful tradition started by Reddit Gifts. He works on community engagement, inter-team communication, and organizing items in the background. When not doing GG work, he enjoys being a total nerd about Magic the Gathering, metal music, video games, and all things tech, as well as spending time with his wonderful wife.
Now we have our Department Heads, who oversee our design, support, and social media ops:
Lizzie is the Head of Support for Givin Gifts. When she is not answering your support tickets you can find her watching anime, playing Minecraft, or spending time with her 2 cute kitties! She is also studying public health in college and in her free time will also work as a crisis counselor for the crisis text line.
MelonPen is the Lead Designer for Givin Gifts and creates the mascot designs for each of our exchanges. She also manages our merchandising and other design projects. Her love of drawing and designing came from Japanese inspired fashion and cute characters like Hello Kitty, Rilakkuma, and Pokemon. In her downtime, she loves baking, cross stitching, taking care of houseplants, and cuddling her cat.
Snoopy is our head of social media. He's responsible for making sure the social media team are all on the same page and that content gets out there in a steady fashion. He also works with the senior team to look at how we can continually develop our online presence. Away from Givin Gifts, he's likely to be found sailing around the Sea of Thieves, nose-deep in a good book, or sleeping on his dice hoard.
Croag is the Head of UI / UX for Givin Gifts. She ensures new features or iterations to our website are user friendly and align to our brand. She has worked both across development and design, but recently has focused on and is increasingly passionate about accessibility and inclusive design and development. Outside of Givin Gifts, you will find her either playing social deduction games, losing at pub quizzes, on the stage singing musical theatre, or napping.
Now we have the rest of our wonderful staff!
Bronwen is one of our support team. If you’ve put in a support ticket, you’re likely to converse with her and she’s in charge of shipping proof so if you’ve submitted proof, she’ll be the one reviewing. When not working on the platform, you’ll likely find Bronwen curled up with a book, hunkered down sewing or getting muddy in a park with her kids.
Alice is the head of Reddit for givin gifts. When she’s not working in the pharmacy or moderating the subreddit you can find her listening to kpop, or watching Korean dramas, or Korean variety shows! As well as in her spare time will build Lego or play Dungeons and Dragons!
Alex helps the support team tend to users. He's fresh blood so he'll make all the mistakes, but hey, everyone has to start from somewhere. He enjoys just about everything and tries just about anything as long as that sweet sweet friendship gets injected into his veins.
Urielsalis is a developer for Givin Gifts, mostly in the matching engine and part of the RG archiving tool. When not doing GG work, he works at his actual job at Twilio, volunteers for Minecraft and the Discord moderator program, They have too many plushies and nerdy t shirts plus a cute doggo.
Jewels is part of the social media team. She runs the Instagram account and Facebook page. She works as a care giver & is in school to be part of the medical field. When not making or responding to posts for GG, she is a nerd that is usually reading, listening to music, playing with pets, or learning random things. She also collects books and some kpop merch.
ZombieCreatures is part of the social media team, and runs the Twitter account. When not writing tweets, she works as a freelance educator and hopes to go back to university to get her Masters degree in Cyber Security. She enjoys history (especially Irish and Nordic), listening to music, improving upon Harry Potter canon and nerding out about LotR and Witcher, and collecting both stamps and old books.
Rachel joined the Givin Gifts team in October as a support team member! Residing in the Lone Star State; Rachel enjoys scrolling Reddit, kayaking, collecting Disney Pins, and hanging out with her significant other and their two furry kiddos!
That's the entire team right now! We are all honored to serve the community and keep the wonderful tradition of gift-giving alive. Every one of the folks here has done some pretty amazing things for Givin Gifts, and I could not be prouder to call them my team, and we're all excited for the future of Givin Gifts, and to many, many more gifts shipping out around the world!
So, moving forward - we're going to change the way our automated process works. How we contact people in relation to it, etc.
The new process is as follows:
1. 1 day after shipping deadline. Gifter is emailed if a gift has not been marked as shipped.
2. 7 days after shipping deadline. If there is no verifiable tracking or shipping proof, or a gift is simply not marked as shipped, we contact the giftee asking them to confirm whether or not they have received a gift.
3. 3 days after the second stage. We contact the gifter informing them that their giftee has stated they have not received a gift, that we have no verifiable proof of shipping and that in 96 hours they will be temporarily suspended from signing up to new exchanges until the situation is resolved.
4. After 96 hours, we will temporarily suspend those people who have either not marked a gift as shipped or provided valid proof of shipping. This will not apply to those people who reach out to us and explain the situation.
5. 24 hours after the fourth stage, people are put into the rematch pool - and rematchers are provided with the details of who they are sending to.
- Bug: Fixed a bug where the wrong date was appearing on the inbox overview for a thread.
- Bug: Fixed a bug where invalid characters were being allowed in a gallery URL causing those posts to not be able to be viewed.
- Bug: Fixed a bug where total number of gifts in a gallery on the "by exchange" view wasn't displaying.
- Feature: You are now able to message your Gifter from an exchange overview page.
- Bug: Fixed a bug where the wrong people were receiving a "your giftee has updated their preferences" email.
- Feature: Premium features are now live.
- Update: Premium lifetime memberships are now available, as well as the option to pay via PayPal.
- Feature: Rematching signups are now available.
- Update: We've changed how things appear on the exchange overview page regarding statuses.
- Feature: An add comment button has been added to the gallery page to avoid confusion.
- Feature: As requested, private exchanges you are signed up to now appear on your account page.
- Feature: You will now receive an email when somebody comments on a gallery post you made.
- Update: The account page UI has been updated.
- Feature: We now require you to confirm that you are over 18 years old as a part of the onboarding process.
- Feature: We now have a step by step process to onboard new users.
- Feature: The age confirmation page for existing users has been moved to a separate page away from the account page.
- Update: Russia has been moved to matching group 7.
- Feature: Starting from the next exchange onwards, you'll be able to set your preferences for what happens if we can't find you a match. Currently, you are bumped to the next tier up automatically (a'la reddit gifts) - but moving forward, you can set a priority order.
- Feature: You can now specify the action you want to take in terms of premium matching!
- Bug: An error with private exchange matching has been fixed.
- Update: Automated emails should now be going out to confirm receipt of gift for the first batch of exchanges where no gallery post has been made.
- Feature: Logistics. Your address is now prefilled out for you in the sending form, and you are able to select from your current exchanges to prefill the destination address in order to avoid any mistakes. We have also added a disclaimer that you will be sent a link via email to fill out your customs declaration if shipping internationally.
From now on, our matching preferences will let you define an action to take when we are unable to find a match in your selected group. They are defined in priority order, so Domestic > Drop would mean 'drop me from this exchange if you can't find a domestic match', whilst Domestic > International would mean 'try and find me an international match if you can't find a domestic one, but don't drop me instead of bumping me to worldwide'.
These changes will take effect from the Thanksgiving Day exchange onwards.
The matching groups for international can be found on our matching groups page.
Users onboarding for the first time will now be directed through a step by step process which explains what they need to fill in, in far more detail.
If you're interested in taking a look, head over to /account/onboard - but please keep in mind that it will override your existing profile each step of the way.
People who have already entered their date of birth have had their account updated, and we have removed their date of birth from our records.
Total Signups: 1150
[ Failures ]
General Failures: 170
Critical Failures: 87
Gifts Received: 15 (People who have marked their gift as received despite no tracking or proof.)
We expect these figures to continue to drop over the next few days.
Now, general failures aren't something we're worried about at this stage. General failures have retrieved their match and sent messages, but haven't submitted any tracking or proof of shipping at this stage. This is why we have a 72 hour buffer from the end of the shipping deadline to submit these details. At this stage, if we haven't heard from the person in question, a suspension flag is placed on their account in order to prevent them from signing up too any more exchanges until the problem is resolved. If they attempt to get around this by making a new account, our detection software throws a permanent ban in their general direction.
If you have reached out to us and have already been told you're going to be placed into the rematching pool for sending, please ignore any automated emails you may accidentally receive. You shouldn't receive them, but bugs can occur!
Now, moving on. Critical failures are the important ones, and people who fall into this category are what usually lead to a rematch. These are the people who haven't engaged at all beyond registering for an exchange at some point. For our first set of exchanges, we were expecting all of these numbers to be much, much higher.
You don't need to contact us in order to be put into the pool for receiving a rematch gift, this will happen automatically - though we may reach out to you if you've already contacted us.
If you're interested in becoming a rematcher, you can signup from any exchange page.
In addition to this, from our next batch onwards - you will also be required to enter a valid phone number for international or worldwide matching.
Premium memberships go directly to covering our operational costs and introducing new features. We are a limited by guarantee company, so we don't distribute profits or anything like that.
You can purchase premium from this page.
Our matching engine is written in Kotlin, feel free to clone the repository and have a play!
Signups for Receiving
You will be automatically placed into the rematching pool for receiving a gift if you meet one of the following criteria (assuming you haven't received a gift).
1. 7 days have passed since the shipping deadline, and your gifter has uploaded no proof of shipping that we are able to verify or provided an acceptable alternative explanation.
2. You have been informed by us that we will be placing you into the pool due to an issue with your gifter.
If we are able to verify that a gift has been shipped, but not received - at this stage, you will not be automatically be placed into the pool for rematching. Please liaise with your gifter and contact the courier used to ship the gift. If after this you still have no joy, open a support ticket and we will investigate.
Signups for Sending
You will be automatically place into the rematching pool for sending a gift if you meet one of the following criteria.
1. You have been informed by us that we will be placing you into the pool due to an issue with your giftee. Issues such as this can normally be attributed to an invalid address and no response from your giftee regarding a correct one.
In addition, you are able to manually signup for rematching 2 days before the shipping deadline of any exchange.
The shipping deadline to send a rematch gift is the same 2 week period as the standard shipping process. Please only signup to become a rematcher if you are able to send a gift, as it would be heartbreaking for a person to fail to receive something twice in the same exchange.
- Access to the concept behind our mascots, including ones we have never released, and concepts for upcoming exchanges.
- The ability to create your own exchanges! Once an exchange is created, you simply share the exchange link to the people you want to signup, along with the invitation code (shown on the exchange management page). These exchanges have their own private galleries, wishlists, messaging system, etc - all the features our public exchanges have.
In the period September 7th to October 7th, the following occured.
- User Signups: 1,833
- Messages Sent: 1,051
- Exchange Suggestions: 147
- Fixed a bug where images were being rotated upon gallery upload... :D.
- Fixed a bug where if you changed your exchange preferences on an exchange that had not been matched yet, it would give you an error despite still saving your preferences.
- Fixed a bug where an invalid URL was being provided on the link from a 'your gift has been received' email.
- Fixed a bug where the wrong people were getting an email when a gallery post was made. This doesn't impact anything in terms of experience granted.
- You'll now receive your experience when a giftee marks their gift as received and a gallery post is generated. Don't worry, there's still the route of shipping proof, etc - if they never make a post.
- As a part of our metrics, we now have an optional addition to the Mark As Shipped form where you can enter how much a gift cost, and how much shipping was. This is only used for anonymized averages.
- Premium users are now able to select premium only matching.
- The gallery view has changed. You are now able to browse the gallery by exchange. In addition, 16 gifts are now displayed per page.
- Fixed a bug where the next exchange panel on the right of the side showed an in-progress exchange.
- You will now receive an email when your gifter has retrieved your details.
- You will now receive an email when your gift has been posted to the gallery.
- You are now able to upload proof of shipping from the exchange overview page.
- Your gifter will now be emailed when you update your exchange preferences.
- Your gifters on any open exchanges will now be emailed when you update your account details (e.g. address).
- As requested, once your gifter has marked your gift as shipped - you'll now see a little info box appear on the actions panel of the exchange page.
- The latest gallery posts are now displayed on the home page. In addition, new lines now display accurately on messages.
- Retrieving a match will now show a link to their public profile.
- Social media is now available on a public profile.
|All Hallows Day||24th Sep 21||8th Oct 21||22nd Oct 21|
|Snack Day||1st Oct 21||15th Oct 21||29th Oct 21|
|Music Day||1st Oct 21||15th Oct 21||29th Oct 21|
|Thanksgiving Day||14th Oct 21||28th Oct 21||11th Nov 21|
|Anime Day||1st Nov 21||15th Nov 21||29th Nov 21|
|Lego Day||1st Nov 21||15th Nov 21||29th Nov 21|
|Pokemon Day||1st Nov 21||15th Nov 21||29th Nov 21|
|Happy Holidays||15th Nov 21||29th Nov 21||13th Dec 21|
|Retro Day||1st Dec 21||15th Dec 21||29th Dec 21|
|Book Day||1st Dec 21||15th Dec 21||29th Dec 21|
|Disney Day||1st Dec 21||15th Dec 21||29th Dec 21|
https://givin.gifts/profile/Ethereal <-- A profile that has imported data, you'll see a new section with reddit gifts posts.
https://givin.gifts/history/pen-pals-2021/yay-things-gbfpqxjl <-- This is how a historical gallery post looks.
If you're interested in this, you can import your reddit gifts data via the account page.
Permission to take a break now?
Currently, you need to have a valid Givin Gifts profile to authenticate against - but we are looking at options for people that don't want to do this. We hope to have something up in the next day or two for this group.
- We have moved to Amazon Web Services for our infrastructure.
- Current exchanges on the homepage will display a small box with a tick if you are signed up to it.
- Profile update errors are now properly logged so we can investigate things better if something goes boom.
- Exchange signup statistics are now on the home page.
- We have implemented the ability for users to select other languages using a dictionary based pairing system for our content. However, we currently have no other languages so you won't see the dropdown! We're working on getting things translated.
- Backend changes, FAR TOO MANY TO LIST.
- As a part of our commitment to offering value to platform users, we now have a Logistics function available on the site (just click Logistics in the nav bar). Via our partnership with a number of carriers, we're able to offer you discounted shipping rates. Currently, this option is only available to people shipping from the United States - we're working on adding more countries! As more and more people use this service, we'll be able to offer better discounts.
- We have archived the entirety of the reddit gifts gallery. Every post. Every image. We've reached out to reddit to see if we'll be able to display trophies, etc for historical purposes once they're shut down.
- The maximum filesize upload of a profile avatar image has been raised from 2MB to 8MB.
|Exchange||Registrations Open||Matching Occurs||Shipping Deadline|
|Whimsical Day||10th Sep 21||1st Oct 21||15th Oct 21|
|Stickers Day||12th Sep 21||1st Oct 21||15th Oct 21|
|Japan Day||13th Sep 21||1st Oct 21||15th Oct 21|
|Plushie Day||14th Sep 21||1st Oct 21||15th Oct 21|
|Movie Day||15th Sep 21||1st Oct 21||15th Oct 21|
|All Hallows Day||24th Sep 21||8th Oct 21||22th Oct 21|
|Snack Day||1st Oct 21||15th Oct 21||29th Oct 21|
|Music Day||1st Oct 21||15th Oct 21||29th Oct 21|
|Thanksgiving Day||14th Oct 21||28th Oct 21||11th Nov 21|
|Anime Day||1st Nov 21||15th Nov 21||29th Nov 21|
|Lego Day||1st Nov 21||15th Nov 21||29th Nov 21|
|Happy Holidays!||15th Nov 21||29th Nov 21||13th Dec 21|
|Retro Day||1st Dec 21||14th Dec 21||28th Dec 21|
|Book Day||1st Dec 21||14th Dec 21||28th Dec 21|
- Email confirmation notices are now automatically resent if an expired link is followed. If this does not happen, visit this page when logged in.
- Clarification regarding the maximum file size of a profile image has been added to the account details page.
- Emails will now come from m.givin.gifts as opposed to m.givingifts.org
- Date formatting has been changed across all pages.
- Accessible label has been added to "Agree Terms" on the registration page.
- Profile now converts newlines to line breaks.
- We have made it clear the wishlist is on a per exchange basis.
- There is now a list of the exchanges you have signed up for on the account details page.
- The FAQ has been updated to answer a number of questions asked following the launch.
- The terms and privacy pages have had many syntax errors corrected.
- You can now choose to be notified when a new exchange is added to the site.
- Fixed an error where if text entered into shipping preferences was too long, something would go derp.
- Fixed an error where a profile would fail to save if a native emoji was used.
After one prototype held together by duct tape, and a second involving hundreds upon hundreds of version control commits... as well as constantly asking our design team for new things, we've managed to do it.
I guess I should start telling you about us. We're Givin Gifts, a team of (currently) 21 people based all over the place. We're a non-profit organisation looking to spread cheer around the world. I think our mission statement sums it up nicely.
"Givin Gifts is a community and organization founded on the belief that spreading gifts and cheer in the world helps to make it a better place for us all. Our mission is not only to enable gift giving on a global scale, but to also encourage philanthropy to various causes. The best gifts are given freely, and so we also strive to make Givin Gifts free to enable the spreading of cheer and charity worldwide."
We were founded by a community of like-minded people after it was announced that Reddit would be sunsetting Reddit Gifts at the end of the year. As an incorporation, we are limited by guarantee, which basically means that we cannot pay those involved a dividend from shares. It means that any money the company makes must go back into the company and the causes that it supports.
Think of this as a sort of soft launch. Whilst we've done extensive testing, we are more than aware that things are sometimes overlooked. If you find something that you think we should know about, let us know. Get in touch if you have any comments or suggestions as well!
As a part of our soft launch, we will not be migrating over any existing data from Reddit Gifts. However, in the coming weeks we will be implementing the ability to verify how many exchanges you have completed previously and update your level accordingly here.
Currently, you'll see that there are two exchanges that you can sign up for, but there will be three more appearing before the end of the month. We decided to do the whole "hype" thing, you know, reveal things slowly over time.
If you'd like, come and have a chat with the team and the members of the community over on our Discord server. You can also follow us on social media, just click on the little icons at the bottom of this page.